Harry's Haiku



A haiku is a short Japanese poem that contains only 3 lines of verse. Traditionally, they are composed of 17 syllables distributed as 5-7-5 among the 3 lines.  The essence of a haiku is the kiru, a "cutting" represented by the juxtaposition of 2 images or ideas. Modern Japanese haiku do not necessarily follow the 5-7-5 syllabication rule. [1]

On one of my birthdays, I posted a Facebook status update, which I later realized, could qualify as a haiku (at least informally). I present it again here:

The author of Harry Potter went scuba diving;
She could have had it all,
She was Rowling in the deep.

I tried working on the 5-7-5 syllabication rule and got the following:

Potter's author dove;
She could have had it all, she's
Rowling in the deep.

Well, this fulfilled the 5-7-5 rule, but in my opinion, it had less impact than the informal haiku, in terms of delivering the kiru. In fact, I would almost say it's disastrous, so instead of calling it a haiku, I'd rather call it HAInaKU! [2]

-----
[1] This paragraph was paraphrased from the Wikipedia article on haiku.
[2] From "Hay naku!", a Filipino phrase which expresses disappointment or exasperation. 


Comments