One-word Poem: Ame ni ai



I look at a poem as a painting, in which words instead of colors and textures are used as the instruments to convey meaning, emotion or memory. For some time now, I have been thinking if it would be possible to come up with a one-word poem. I've come to the conclusion that there is one such word, that, just hearing it could evoke a multitude of meanings, visions, sounds, memories and emotions.

I would have presented the word to you immediately were it not for my recent fascination for haikus, a short Japanese poem that I have described in an earlier post. And so I thought of writing a one-word haiku, which I share with you below:

r
あい
n

Haikus do not usually have a title, but if I'd choose one for the above poem, I'd choose 雨に愛 (Ame ni ai). This may be a bad thing to do since it's like explaining one's own joke. But I'd put it there just the same.

I won't blame you if you think this is all nonsense. Many poems and paintings have suffered similar fates, and that hasn't bothered their authors. It wouldn't bother me as well, because what's important for me is that I have dabbed the colors and textures of some words in the canvas of  your imagination.

--
For additional explanation on the Japanese, please see this post.

Comments