From Anime to the Eucharist



Last year, I watched an anime that left a deep impression on me. It's called 蛍火の杜へ  (Sorry, I'm practicing Kanji: In Romaji it's Hotarubi no mori e, translated as "Into the Forest of Fireflies' Light" in English.)

In one scene, this anime was able to mix the feelings of shock, happiness, and anguish all at the same moment. It left such a strong impact on me that I was left thinking about it for several days.

To those of you who already saw the anime, I think you know what scene I am referring to. To the others who have not yet seen the anime, please watch it first (or read the plot summary here), then come back and read the rest of this post.  I won't tell you how it happened so as not to give a spoiler.

Alright, are you sure you've seen the anime or read its plot? Well then, read on.

Hotarubi no mori e told about how love developed between a young girl named Hotaru (which means firefly in Japanese), and Gin, a  human who was raised by the spirits of the forest since he was a baby. Although Gin looks like a human, he has actually seized to be human. His being raised by the forest spirits caused one big limitation:  He will dissolve into nothingness the very moment a human being touches him.  As Gin and Hotaru's feelings for each other grew, so did their desire to embrace and possess each other. However, both knew that their desire could never be fulfilled except in a tragic way.

As previously mentioned, the scene unsettled me for some time. The idea of possession and annihilation coming together is just so contrary to the human heart and mind. As I continued considering this, one day it led me to think about (believe it or not) the Blessed Eucharist.

I thought that the story of the Eucharist is the very opposite of the story of Gin and Hotaru.  Gin and Hotaru love each other dearly and yet they cannot embrace each other ⁠— their physical union will cause the annihilation of the other. In the Blessed Eucharist, on the other hand,  the love of Christ for mankind is such that He enables men to approach him, to touch him, and, yes, to eat him in the appearance of bread and wine. This union does not lead to the annihilation of one party but rather to his exaltation. It is an invitation to enter into eternity.

Please forgive my theological considerations here. But this is what the Catholic Church teaches.  It's just wonderful to realize how Christ understands the human heart so well that he left us this great sacrament of the Eucharist that could fill our heart's greatest desires.

Comments