Notes after a wedding ceremony

Wedding rings
I attended the wedding of a cousin today. I was swept away by the ceremony and the liturgy. Not that I felt overly sentimental; I just appreciated more the beauty and the necessity of having signs and symbols to express meanings that otherwise would be impossible , difficult, or at least less effective to express. These signs and symbols are moreover matched by prayers that evoke their meaning. Then came to my mind this quotation from C.S. Lewis:

"God never meant man to be a purely spiritual nature. That is why he uses, material things like bread and wine to put the new life into us. We may think this is rather crude and unspiritual. God does not: He invented eating. He likes matter. He invented it.’”

-C.S.Lewis, Mere Christianity


Photo credit: 'Gold rings' by ollycb in www.sxc.hu

Comments